Friday, June 29, 2012

Grillin' Good Birthday....

One of my brothers was born the day after the Fourth of July. I don't have a memory of that holiday but my mom tells a good story. She was very young. Already had two little girls, me and my sister. I'm not sure what her due date was but it was a hot Texas summer and my paternal grandmother loved to picnic, so, according to my mom, the holiday involved driving half an hour to the Guadalupe River to celebrate. She says that she remembers being hot and uncomfortable as she sat on a big rock with my 1 year old sister and watched us all swim. The trip back was spent in the back seat with us girls while my grandma sat in front with my dad. Sounds just like an old black and white John Huston movie, doesn't it? Well, the next day, she went into labor and gave my dad a namesake. He grew up to be a sweet soft-spoken ex-Marine who, strangely enough, loves the water.

Every year he gets a holiday-ish birthday card from me. This year, I'm celebrating his love of outdoor grilling. I used Paper Smooches' Al Fresco stamps, an old Hero Arts sentiment block, and Pink Paislee's Hometown Summer patterned paper. I made all the images fit within a 4"x6" white panel that I then cut up and glue onto the background with small margins. Inside the card, I expressed my wish that someone else does the grillin' for him on his special day.... but I know it'll be him wearing the chef hat, as always.


At least, every year since, my mom has been able to celebrate a little more comfortably....

Thanks for dropping by. I still must make that baby card.... so y'all come back now, ya hear?

*smile*

1 comment:

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

EEEEEEEEEEK!!!! Seriously so dang cute! LOVE this one. Made me have a big ol' smile. Happy birthday to your bro and Happy 4th! XOXO